Sunday, July 29, 2012

THINGS TO BE THANKFUL FOR

I don’t usually put much stock in holidays. To me it seems a waste of time and makes a lot of money for Hallmark and their ilk who write words for those people who can’t think of anything to say but want to take credit for some little old card writer who pours out sentimental thoughts for everything under the sun: Anniversaries, Graduations, Valentine’s Day, Get Well Thoughts and let’s not forget sympathy cards. How sweet says the card recipicant, they remembered my birthday and just listen to this sweet verse. Hello, Hello, That verse goes out to thousands and thousands of people as well as the cute hummingbird on the front. Wake up, wake up. They bought a card. Yes they did not think enough of you to pick up the phone or even send an email with their own words instead of mass produced verses on mass produced greeting cards. There are even reminder services that you can join. You put all the dates that are special to folks and you get a reminder to send a card or flowers. When you die people can say: He/she never forgot my birthday, anniversary, and so on. Wake up. Take responsibility for a handwritten note, a phone call or even an email. Just as handmade gifts are valued and remembered, so are the moments you take out of your busy life to reach out to someone you care about personally instead of relying on the commercial aspect of buying a card and move on. When I was in Viet Nam, we had mail call once or twice a week and such a joy it was to get a real letter from a loved one. A note from Mom saying she is worried about the war, a letter from a sweetheart who says she misses you. The saddest faces were those who did not get mail. I realize people are busy with the routine of life, but take the time to touch someone with something personal. Then when you die, people will say: He was too cheap to buy a Hallmark card; he always sent a note or a letter, or an email. Stop and think for a minute about a friend or relative that you have not been in touch with. Imagine as you go through your day busy with the chores that come with living. Imagine their day wherever they are. Picture their daily tasks and try to put yourself there to see how their day was spent. Periodically, I will think of friends I met in Spain or Japan. I will close my eyes and see the streets of Rota Spain or Misawa Japan with the hustle and bustle and imagine what my friends are doing in their daily routine. So, back to the subject: Things to be thankful for: Be thankful for your family warts and all Be thankful for your friends who take you as you are Be thankful for Thanksgiving Holiday (hello, the turkey!!!) I would even send a Hallmark card if it took it to get my turkey. I am thankful for a loving wife and children who accept me with all my faults. I am thankful for my upbringing that taught me not to be afraid of hard work and the simple pleasures of life. I am thankful for a large family who helped me grow up and not get killed doing stupid stuff. I am thankful for my mother who always encouraged me to try harder and do better, especially when I was learning the guitar and getting quite a bit of unsolicited criticism. My mother always said keep trying son you will soon be playing lots of songs. (more than Tom Dooley). I love my guitars, music collection and keyboards. I am able to play a song on them regardless of my mood. I am thankful for Roger Miller who wrote: Walking in the Sunshine, sing a little sunshine song, Put a Smile upon your face as if there’s nothing wrong. Think about the good times had a long time ago. Think about forgetting about your worries and your woes. I guess that has become sort of my motto. That and a line from a Frank Sinatra Song: Regrets, I’ve had a few but then again too few to mention. My daddy said you should help someone in need when you get a chance. He sang on the back porch songs such as: Swing low Sweet Chariot and Just a Rose will do. I am thankful for so many things. There are still people I would like to kill but I go through life a day at a time and each day I imagine a switch inside my head and I always flip the switch to positive. I don’t have time left to devote to negative. I don’t mean to preach, just think about it.

No comments:

Burdens are a blessing!.