Saturday, April 23, 2011

SQEAKHER BECAME SWEEKHE



CAT CONFUSION

We have cats. Here a cat, there a cat everywhere a cat cat. Before the recent addition of Squeak I would see two or three cats in the kitchen and one or two in the window sills and some lying on the bed.

Now Anita swears there is only three but I have counted up to a dozen. However, when she gets them all together it does appear there are only three. Maybe the confusion is in the names. She calls the two black cats Emma and Lucy while I call them Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. She calls the Calico Rosie Cat and I have called her RZG short for Rosie Girl. So that accounts for at least six of them. At any rate along came Squeak.

Our good friends who live out on 110 acre farm have Barn Cats. Sometimes the quantity varies due to foxes and chicken hawks and various other factors. One day we got a call and they asked if we could baby sit a newborn cat while they were on a trip to Texas. We agreed and received a cat no bigger than a small apple. Anita had to feed her with a medicine dropper. She gradually got bigger and bigger and Anita became more and more attached to this tiny fur ball. The cat would make a noise that is best described as a Squeak so therefore the origin of the name Squeak.

Well, it came to pass that the friends came back from their trip to Texas and they said that they would be out in a few days to get Squeak back. I told them that Anita had grown quite fond of the little fur ball. I told them that Anita had a firearm in the house and that it would probably be dangerous to repossess the cat. They realized that Squeak and Anita had bonded and after all, they had oodles of cats still around the farm. So Squeak became a member of the family.

When we first got Squeak she was sick and Anita took her to the vet to get some medicine to clear up the virus. Everybody made a fuss about what a cute girl that Squeak was.

A little later, we discussed having Squeak fixed because we did not need any more little cat critters running around. Anita made an appointment with the Vet for Squeak to have a cat hysterectomy.

On the fateful day, Anita took Squeak to the vet. I was sitting at my desk at work and Anita called me on the cell phone. It sounded as if she was crying so I said what is the matter? At that time I figured out she was laughing as she told me about the call she received from the vet. The vet asked her, “Did you know Squeak is a male?”
I was floored. After Squeak being a cute little girl kitty for so long, it took a long time to come to grips with this. Thus Squeakher became Squeakhe.

At least that explained his aggressive behavior running around the house like a bat out of hell. Chasing the girl cats. Squeak was an Alpha male and the only male cat in the household. But the vet tamed him down a mite as Squeak ended up nutless in Idaho. We still refer to him now and again as a her and when we do he attacks. He always wants to get even so we are watching him closely. All the ladies on Anita’s quilt blog were flabbergasted to find out that Squeak was a he. This is going to take some getting used to but everyone is now able to laugh about it. That is everyone except Squeak.

When I told my daughter, Margaret about Squeak’s ordeal, she told me her cat story. She had a female cat, yes indeed a real her or she. She wanted to have her cat fixed so she took it to the vet only to get a call saying: “When I shaved her belly I discovered that she has already been fixed or altered as Squeak would say. Anyway the daughter Unit had to have her say. She said at least I know a girl cat from a boy cat. I explained that all the time we thought that Squeak was a she that I had not seen, nor had anyone else, a dangling participle. Over time we are hoping that Squeak will forgive us for calling him a girl for almost 5 months. But just in case, I lock the bedroom door.

3 comments:

Marg said...

Okay parents. That would be a total of 4 cats, not 3. Lucy, Emma, Rosie, and Squeakher. That's 4 :o)

Anita said...

You know your father he has sisters named Sis and Jeanette.

Marg said...

Ma,
Your not helping dad's math dilemma. :oD I guess it's more than a math dilemma. Hee hee hee. I don't know if you could count my aunts as cats... Oh well. Happy Mother's Day weekend!!!

Burdens are a blessing!.